Hydrogen peroxide is water (H2O) with an extra oxygen molecule. The combination is H2O2, an unstable powerful oxidant. It is a natural substance which can be found in trace amounts in rain and snow. Rain combines with ozone in the upper atmosphere. When the two mix, the ozone (O2) loses one oxygen molecule to the water and hydrogen peroxide is formed. Hydrogen peroxide is very unstable and breaks down readily into water and a single oxygen molecule. Oxygen is stable only when the molecules are pairs (O2). A single oxygen molecule is a strong oxidizing and disinfecting agent. Hydrogen peroxide is a simple yet effective substance. Our own immune system produces and uses hydrogen peroxide to control bacteria and viruses.
Hydrogen peroxide (3% solution) is the only germicidal agent composed only of water and oxygen.
1. Disinfect Small WoundsHydrogen peroxide is a natural anti-septic, therefore one of its most common uses is to clean wounds to prevent infection.
2. Bleach Your HairBecause it is more gentle than household bleach, hydrogen peroxide is also great for lightening hair.
3. Just Add HighlightsTo get a classic “sun-bleached” look, simply spray hydrogen peroxide over damp hair and let it soak in for 10 – 15 minutes before rinsing out.
4. Whitening Toothydrogen peroxideasteMix baking soda and hydrogen peroxide to make a homemade toothydrogen peroxideaste that will also remove stains from teeth when used daily.
5. Antiseptic Mouth RinseUse a cap full of hydrogen peroxide as a mouth rinse to help whiten teeth and kill germs that cause bad breath.
6. Disinfect ToothbrushesSoak toothbrushes in hydrogen peroxide to kill staph bacteria and other germs common to the bathroom environment.
7. Whiten Your NailsSoak fingertips and toes in hydrogen peroxide to naturally whiten your nails.
8. Clear Up AcneUse hydrogen peroxide as a face rinse to kill the bacteria that cause acne and help clear your complexion.
9. Help Heal BoilsPour half of a bottle (about 8 ounces) of hydrogen peroxide into warm bath water and soak to treat boils.
10. Soften Corns & CallusesMix equal parts hydrogen peroxide and warm water to make a foot soak that will naturally soften corns and calluses.
11. Remove Ear WaxPut a couple of drops of hydrogen peroxide into ears, wait a minute or two, then follow up with a couple of drops of olive oil. Wait another minute, then drain fluid from ears to remove ear wax.
12. Prevent “Swimmer’s Ear”Mix equal parts hydrogen peroxide and vinegar in a small dropper bottle. Put several drops in each ear after swimming to prevent infection.
13 .Relieve Ear InfectionsPut 6 – 8 drop of hydrogen peroxide in each ear to alleviate symptoms and help clear up an ear infection.
14. Kill Sub-dermal ParasitesApply hydrogen peroxide to skin affected with mites or other parasites to kill them naturally.
15. Treat Foot FungusCombine equal parts hydrogen peroxide and water in a dark colored spray bottle (light exposure weakens hydrogen peroxide) and apply to skin affected by foot fungus each night to stop fungal growth.
TO MAKE A 3% HYDROGEN PEROXIDE SOLUTIONMix 1 fl.oz 35% H2O2 to 11 fl.oz pure water(or Mix 5 fl.oz 7% H2O2 to 7 fl.oz pure water)this makes 12 fl.oz (3/4 pint) of 3% solution(Use distilled water only)